With a little more than a month left of summer here in Boulder, there’s not really a good excuse (okay, maybe the heat) why you shouldn’t be getting out to do fun things with your kid. There’s tons to do with kids in Boulder this summer — and we’ve got the scoop.
- Family Concert in the Park: On Monday night, July 29th, the City of Boulder Parks & Recreation Department will be sponsoring the last summer performance of their concert band series. You can pack a picnic dinner and bring the whole family to enjoy a night of free entertainment. The show is held at Chautauqua Park and will start at 7pm.
- Sunflower Farm: This is a working farm that has been opening its gates to the public for 10 years now. Every Friday night through the end of August, Sunflower Farm invites families to enjoy a dinner on the farm. You bring the picnic food, they provide the baby goats, chickens, pony rides & other assorted farmyard fun. The cost is $10 and the dinner hours run from 5pm-8pm.
- Family Dance Planet: Billed as Boulder’s dance party for families with children, Family Dance Planet happens the third Saturday of each month. Take the family and enjoy dancing to the beats and rhythms of a live DJ. The event is held at the Avalon Ballroom and festivities kick off at 10am.
- The Unofficial Boulder Triathlon: This one consists of biking with your children to Scott Carpenter Park, running around the park (especially up and down the big hill) and then hopping over to the pool for a swim. You won’t get any aid stations or t-shirts for finishing this one but you won’t have to pay any expensive race registrations either.
- ABC Kids Climbing: This indoor climbing gym is run by two former elite climbers and they aren’t messing around. With 7200 square feet of space, ABC is the only gym in Boulder built for the sole purpose of training kids to climb. ABC not only provides the place, but also the opportunity to learn from coaches and to compete on advanced climbing teams. If you’re new to climbing, you can choose from a variety of lessons or come in as a family to enjoy the open gym sessions.
So go pick something fun and remember why you love your child in the first place. Or at the very least, create some special memories & take a few cute pictures. Either way, get out there!