If you’re new to Boulder or just new to owning your own business in Boulder, don’t sweat it. We have everything you need to get started as a business owner in the State of Colorado and Boulder County.
It’s a pretty simple process to register your business in both Boulder and Colorado — let’s get started.
Creating Your Colorado Business Entity
In Colorado, we do everything through the Secretary of State’s office. Here, you’ll register your business entity name and what kind of business structure you’re creating (LLC, S-Corp, LLP, etc.).
- Visit the Colorado Secretary of State Business Organizations page.
- Select the type of activity you want to complete (most likely, file a business document)
- On the next page, you’ll be asked what kind of form you want to file — for a new or existing business entity. Make your selection.
- If you’ve selected to file a document for a new entity, the next page will ask you to select the type of entity you’re electing.
- You’ll then move on to fill out all of the information required by the State of Colorado.
- Once you’ve submitted the required information, you’ll pay the appropriate fee and your documents will be immediately available online.
Registering Your Business in Boulder
All businesses operating within the City of Boulder must obtain a Business License. You can find and complete the Boulder Business License application online. If you are working from home, you’ll also need to complete a Home Occupation Form and send that in with your Business License application.
Additional Information for Register Your Business in Boulder County
If you’re creating a brand new business entity, you’ll probably need a Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service. You can fill out that application online here.