Have you ever considered…downsizing? I mean, really (really) downsizing. If you’re looking for a way to beat the high price of Boulder real estate, scale down your space, and be — at the same time — location independent, you just might find Tumbleweed Tiny House Company’s upcoming Tiny Houses Workshop here in Boulder just your thing!
We know the event is a bit out (September 7 and 8), but there’s an early bird registration discount that saves you over $160 off the workshop price if you register by July 1. The 2-day workshop is regularly $399 but if you reserve you space by July 1, you’re in for the sweet deal of $239.
So, what exactly can you hope to learn from this Tiny House Workshop?
Direct from the folks at Tumbleweed, here’s the scoop on what will be covered over the two full workshop days here in Boulder:
- How to design and build your home in the most cost effective manner and how to save money during construction.
- The 14 tools that you need to build your own tiny home.
- How you can build a house on a trailer or standard foundation.
- Detailed information on trailers; from flatbeds to utility trailers to car haulers, including standard trailer sizes and weight capacities.
- How to select the best materials and which ones to avoid.
- How to frame and sheath your home.
- Siding techniques: what works best, what materials you can use, their energy efficiency benefits, and how to apply them.
- Insulation and venting techniques and why some types of green insulation don’t work in a tiny home.
- Guarding against condensation, one of the key issues with small homes.
- Roofing techniques that will ensure you properly protect your home.
- Appliances. What types of home heaters, water heaters, kitchen appliances and toilets you will need.
- Building code restrictions and zoning laws.
- Sizing: kitchen cabinetry, door sizes, shower sizes, toilet sizing and how to get more compact choices for your tiny home.
- Which jobs you can handle and when you should call in a professional.
Given how committed the Boulder and mountain communities are to lessening their footprints, you just might find that a tiny house — completely mobile and “buildable” by you — is the next step for domestic bliss.
Click here to learn more about Tumbleweed Tiny Houses and their Boulder Workshop.
PS: if the portable lifestyle isn’t for you, they also have designs for cottages that are permanent structures that you can build here in Boulder…or wherever you choose!